When it comes to YouTube, everyone wants to have a video that goes viral and makes them millions of dollars. Although it might sound easy, it isn’t. When creating YouTube videos with the intent of going “viral” there is much that has to be considered. Here is a list of some Do’s and Don’ts that may help you to get that “viral” video you are hoping for.
- Know your market. As a business owner, you need to know what your market is, what you want to market, and what you are marketing. Make sure you know what your company is posting. When you are working on a video it is impossible to market everyone. Whether your video is inspirational, funny, informational, entertaining, etc. there is always someone who won’t care to watch it. Make sure you know who your market it and focus to that market.
- Be original but clever. People are always looking for new entertaining videos to keep them going. We have all seen a hundred different videos of the Harlem Shake, and the more people do it, the older it gets. So make sure you have an original idea, but make it clever so you can attract a viewing.
- Tell a story. When creating a YouTube channel, make it a story. Each video that you post, make it a new part of the story. By doing so you will be able to attract a following as they will want to know the next part of the story. Make it an interesting story though, or else no one will want to come back.
- Don’t do anything to give your brand a bad name. With YouTube it is easy to make ourselves look unintelligent with our videos. Make sure that you are aware of your image as you post videos. If you are going to humor, there may be room for a little embarrassment, but make sure you don’t make a complete joke of yourself, or your brand.
- Don’t upload a video just for the sake of uploading it. Make sure you know what you are uploading. Make sure you set goals and have an idea of where you want the video to take you and what you hope to accomplish my using the video.
- Don’t leave the description area blank. Having keywords in the description area will allow search engines, such as Google, to index the videos page and increase your SEO standings. This will, in turn, bring more people to your page and offer you a better viewing and overall better traction to your services.
Whatever you do, make sure you are building brand awareness. Most people get on YouTube to find something entertaining to watch, or something informational. So make sure your videos are both entertaining and informational to maximize your ability to get views.