So I’ve been having this inkling in the back of my mind for weeks. I want to start a blog. But one thing has been holding me back. Its that one big question that stops many would-be bloggers: what on earth do I blog about?
I’ve always heard blogs described as an online journal that everyone can read, and I guess that is where my fear stems from. I don’t think my life is exciting to the point that other people would want to follow it all the time. Although writing the intimate details of your life can be a topic of a blog, its doesn’t have to be. In fact the best blogs out there follow an entirely different formula.
First of all, you have to figure out what you are going for with your blog.
- Are you wanting to share pictures of your new baby with extended relatives in far off places?
- Do you have a cool hobby (break dancing in a gorilla suit perhaps?) that you want to share and make more popular?
- Do you like painting or photography and have some cool stuff to share?
- Maybe your head is packed full of cool facts about chihuahua’s you think the world should know.
- Maybe you want to get something off of your chest. You could blog your opinion on a controversial topic or authority figure.
- One of the best reasons to create a blog is to drive traffic to your website if you run a business. Read Angie’s article about SEO through blogging to learn more about that.
All of us have something we can share.
One important thing to remember is to be specialized in your blog. If you are trying to attract chihuahua lovers to your site and you start giving tips about how fix a radiator, you’re not going to gain many loyal followers. Likewise, not many people looking to fix a radiator are going to go to chihuahualoversunite.com.
Another key thing to remember when creating a really great blog is to update often. You want to keep people coming back. Those who might have been impressed with your blog after reading one good article are going to stop checking back when there hasn’t been anything new for a few weeks.
Use your blog to share other great resources. One of the great thing about the internet is the ability to link. You can link to websites you think are great, or you can link to your business website or a personal website. This can greatly help with search engine optimization.
Finally, one thing that creates the best blogs is discussion. Get a conversation going. This can be really easy to do with opinion blogs, but if you’re writing a tip blog or a fact blog try asking questions at the end. See if someone else has a better way to do something of if you missed anything. Don’t let it devolve into an argument however. No one wants to read through a bunch of comments that sound like this.
So what do you think? What else can you blog about? What are some of the best blogs you’ve seen?