Siri Getting Smarter.
Earlier today at the WWDC (Worldwide Developers Conference for anyone out of the loop), Apple finally announced what features people can expect from its next iOS. Over 200 changes have been announced for the new iOS, which is scheduled to be available for consumers in the fall.
Enough small talk, let’s get down to business.
What’s New in iOS6?
First on the list are several improvements to Siri. Among them are:
- Siri can now launch apps.
- Siri can now Tweet.
- Siri is smart about sports. It can pull in scores, game summaries and player stats.
- Siri integrates with Yelp and OpenTable for restaurant reviews and reservations.
- Siri in
- will also integrate with Rotten Tomatoes for movie times and reviews.
- Siri is also available in several new langages.
Siri will also be moving into a bigger home and becoming available for the iPad. It looks like Apple listened when people complained that Siri was essentially useless, as they are obviously trying to increase her functionality.
What Else Can iOS6 Do?
A smarter Siri is only the beginning for the new operating system. A CliffsNotes version of the changes would look like this:
- Dramatically Increased
- FaceTime over a cellular signal.
- Enhancements to Safari (more offline content available).
- Improved mail (including a VIP option to help organize your inbox).
- Passbook, which will basically manage all your digital loyalty cards and ticket info.
- Maps! Siri can now direct you to your destination with turn by turn instructions.
All in all this looks like a pretty big leap forward for Apple, especially when compared to iOS5. What feature are you most excited for? Are there any features you were expecting but weren’t delivered by Apple?