SLC|SEM hosted their second annual Digital Marketing Conference last week. Nearly every Big Leaper was able to attend at least one day of the conference and many attended both days. We learned, we laughed (thanks Annie and Amy), we connected with old friends, made some new friends, and we walked away with a few more tricks up our sleeve.
#1 – Step Up Your Paid Strategy & Fast!
Event organizers had lined up speakers in such a way that nearly the entire first day was devoted to paid media. The line up included big names of the likes of Brad Geddes, Susan Wenograd, Kirk Williams, Bjorn Espenes, and JD Prater, all who discussed paid search, display advertising, Google Shopping, or social advertising.
In some way or another each speaker discussed the need to add some sophistication to your paid advertising efforts. Long gone are the days where digital marketers are able to throw together a landing page, dump some money into AdWords, and drive results. Instead, digital marketers need to research, plan, and execute a paid media plan that matches their customer’s buyer’s journey.
Some fun PPC nuggets from each PPC speaker:
- Brad Geddes – The longer the customer journey the more important it is to use remarketing to move your visitors towards conversion.
- Susan Wenograd – Understanding who isn’t in your target audience is as important as understanding who is in your target audience.
- Bjorn Espenes – “Not everything in an AdWords account can be automated or should be automated.”
- JD Prater – Most people don’t believe in love at first site, but marketers do with how their campaigns are set up!
- Kirk Williams – Use RSLA for Google Shopping, but don’t follow Google’s best practices.