If you’re anything like me, you probably appreciate a good movie every now and again. I feel comfortable in assuming I’m not alone in this sentiment based on the millions of dollars a good movie can bring in at the box office. However, as excited as I am about the movies coming out this summer, I still enjoy putting in a classic at the end of a long day.
One thing that stuck out to me as I watched a couple of my favorites is how easy it is to date a movie based on the phones they use. It is not really a shock based on how much progress the phone industry has made in the last decade.
In fact, as of January 2014, 90 percent of American adults now have a cell phone and of those 58 percent own a smartphone. So how has this influenced SEO?
It turns out that in February of this year, more people used mobile apps than they did PCs to search the internet. It is also important to note that 42% of American adults also own a tablet. This then should highlight how important it is to understand how customers are viewing your site.
While the quality of your mobile site may not currently be damaging your page ranking, I wouldn’t rule it out in the future. Google seems to be getting more ambitious with each of their newest algorithm updates. Their updates keep targeting the user experience, and with a large percentage of adults using their phones and tablets these days, it may not be long before Google emphasizes these forms.
The fact still remains, you could be losing customers if you have neglected mobile and tablet.
- With any form of marketing, the first step is to understand your customer.
- Utilize Google Analytics. This is a free service that I recommend everyone have linked to their site. Here you can track and gather a lot of metrics about your site.
- Understand how your customers view your website? Are they using a desktop, mobile, or tablet What operating system are they using? What browser?
- Know the bounce rate. Why do customers leave your site? How long are they on the page?
- The second step is to analyze the data and respond to your customer needs. If customers aren’t getting what they’ve come for, they will find somewhere else to go.
- Make sure you have a responsive web design. A responsive web design will cater to a wide range of devices without the need to create a separate site for each device.
Technology continues to advance and as such the SEO industry is constantly evolving. It is best that you keep your eyes open for trends that might harm or help your site. Mobile is one of those areas in which you should pay attention to.
Give your business the best chance of success and know your customers. Ensure that you aren’t losing customers to your competitor because you’ve neglected one channel or another. Finally, make certain that your site isn’t as dated as some of those phones you can still see in your favorite movies.