SEO is rapidly changing and many of the things that once gave you good ratings can now work against you. Here are 8 basic SEO tips to help you know what you need to do to get better page ranks:
1. You want to place key words in your title tag so when it gets crawled, Google (or Bing or Yahoo) will know what your page is about. You have 65 characters to place key words in.
2. Though you want to place keywords to build authority, you should never lose site of the fact that Google wants it to be human friendly. Meaning, if you just stuff everything with key words, Google will know, and penalize you for it.
3. You want to link to different pages on your site. Use the same keywords as anchor texts to do this. The more you can do this, the better it will be.
4. If Google thinks all the pages on your site are the same then you run the risk of it not getting indexed Therefore, DO NOT use the exact same title tag on every page of your site.
5. Link Farms are frowned upon and picked up on by Google. If you have 100+ links on your website/blog whatever, you can get the black hat from Google.
6. When writing content on your page, make sure you place your keywords at the beginning. Now don’t take this to mean put all 10 keywords in the first paragraph cause you want it throughout your article, but make sure you have at least one or two in the first paragraph.
7. When you post an image make sure you use an alt tag. This will tell Google what the image is about, as well as get you keyword placement.
8. Do not look like a spammer. It doesn’t work. You are not smarter than Google. If you cram the description or keyword meta tag with keywords you will get dinged. This may have worked in the past, but it will not work today.