After reading any basic information about search engine optimization (SEO), you’ll find out that building links to your website is one of the most important factors in ranking well. Google and other major search engines see links as a vote from one site to yours. If your website has thousands of links from other sites and a competitors website only has a handful of links, search engines can see that your website is more popular and will probably rank you higher than your competition. So lets get started building some links. But where are you supposed to get all these links? Here are a few places to start looking:
- Directories – Directories are one of the easiest places to get a quick link. Many web directories will let you submit your site for free. There are also some paid directory options which can be very beneficial. One directory you definitely should submit your website to is dmoz.org. This is a free directory and highly regarded by search engines. It may take up to a year to even have your submission reviewed so start early.
Pro’s: Usually Free, thousands of directory options, easy to submit to
Con’s: Links don’t carry as much weight since they are easily obtained, some require payment, picking the wrong directories can hurt you.
- Friends & Partners – Leveraging your business partnerships can be one of the easiest and most beneficial links you get. If you partner with someone in your field or a related field, ask them to link to your website. If you run a business that allows other websites to sell your products or have franchises, you can even require that they link back to your site.
Pro’s: High quality links from related sites, usually free links
Con’s: Can be time consuming to contact partners. May take these people awhile to update their sites.
- Buying Links – Purchasing links from link brokers or contacting site owners is another possible way to build links. There are many companies that offer this service. If you find a related website to your own, see if they have an advertise section.
Pro’s: Quick and easy way to pick up links, you can often pick the anchor text and the types of sites your link shows up.
Con’s: Definitely the most risky way to build links. Google and other search engines are cracking down websites that buy links. If you get involved in link buying, you need to make sure you know the best ways to do it.
There are some other common ways to build links. It is important to remember that the best way to build links is by having a popular site with lots of link-worthy content. If you have lots of good content that people naturally want to link to, you will often do very well in the search engine results. Start boosting your rankings with a strong link building campaign.
- Does SEO Really Work? - February 16, 2020
- 6 Things to Look for when Hiring a Digital Marketing Agency - September 18, 2019
- How to Increase Leads in the Competitive SaaS World with CRO - November 10, 2016