If you’ve read our piece on the four bad content marketing habits, you know how easy it is for time-wasters to creep into your campaigns and water-down impact.
But how do you save time in content marketing? Working smarter to get it right the first try will keep you from going back to fix a low-performing piece. So here are six content marketing tips to save you time on a better content strategy.
1. Think Campaigns
During the initial brainstorm, don’t just think of one article at a time. Think of the entire funnel. Create a content strategy that involves multiple pieces that work together to drive someone from awareness to consideration to decision. This allows you to get started on one piece with a handful of other pieces waiting in the queue. You’ll be able to knock out multiple pieces of content with a lot more speed and power.
2. Focus on User Experience
The user experience accounts for how customers interact with your content, including how they’ll find it and where they’ll consume it.
If you want your content to be found, you need to do more than post it on your blog. Chances are, your potential customers won’t frequent your blog very often to see when you post. So what to do?
- Optimize for SEO: Though we live in a tech-centric world, many people still wonder if SEO really works. And the truth is, SEO is one of the most effective ways to be found, which can bring your content to the top of search pages. Not only can you better target searcher intent, but find ways to enhance the user journey on your website.
- Optimize for mobile. Where are customers going to consume your content? Are they more likely to read it on their phone or on their computer? Mobile devices actually make up more than 50 percent of web traffic, so it’s safe to assume a lot of people will read your stuff on their phones. So, you need to optimize your content for mobile. This means your website’s load time is quick and your content is easily formatted for a mobile device’s dimensions.
3. Get to the Point
When people come to your website, they’re not searching the web to be entertained by a company’s content—they’re looking for answers.
Say what you want to say and say it simply. Don’t beat around the bush, get right to the good stuff in the first paragraph so even skimmers can easily find what they came for.
And don’t try to sound fancy or cool with the latest lingo. Nothing kills trends quicker than when a brand tries to join in on the fun.
4. Prioritize Value
It might be tempting to forgo quality in your writing in favor of what seems like better results, but don’t be swayed. Content that’s genuinely valuable is one of your greatest marketing assets. So bring value to your content by:
- Using just the right amount of relevant keywords. When it comes to keywords, it’s easy to stuff your content with a lot of different ones, so you’ll rank for multiple, and often unrelated, search terms. By doing this, you’ll only establish yourself as an untrustworthy business to both search engines and your customers.
- Don’t be afraid to go in-depth. Writing too generically can make it seem like you don’t really know what you’re talking about and make you lose some credibility. So do you research and provide something that is genuinely educational for your readers.
- Deliver on what you promised. If you say you’re going to answer a certain question in your headline, you better answer it. Otherwise, you’ll mislead your audience, and no one likes being tricked.
5. Make It Skimmable
It’s no secret that most people will only read 20 percent of your webpage. That’s why you need to create content that’s easily skimmable yet still delivers value. The secret? Organization.
- Use headings. They’re a great way to break up your information to let people scroll to the section they need. Your headings should be clear, informative, and engaging enough to stop a skimmer in their tracks.
- Use bullets. Sometimes it’s good to go more in-depth on a topic, and other times, it’s enough to just list out some quick items.
- Use CTAs. Make the calls to action noticeable, obvious and directive. Get straight to the point and let your read know what the next best option is. Don’t leave them guessing.
Save Your Precious Time
No one likes wasting time. That’s the bottom line. So why risk wasting it on something so important as content marketing?
Here at Big Leap, our team of digital marketing experts can craft a content marketing strategy that will get you results in the perfect amount of time. Contact us today to find out how you can start spending more time growing business and less time promoting it.